Decade: The 60s
Name: Mavis – Whitby double-ender
Built in 1961 by Gordon Clarkson of Whitby who specialised in Yorkshire cobbles and Whitby double-enders, “Mavis” is a Clinker built, larch on oak, originally call and “morning Tide”, 21’ x 7’ beam.
This boat was built for a fisherman at Port Mulgrave (near Staithes) on the North Yorkshire coast. She was built to launch from the beach, and has two very heavy bilge keels that enable her to sit flat. She was designed to run in with the waves, and be retrieved by tractor.
After 40 years working daily off the beach at Port Mulgrave, she moved some 15 miles up the coast to Redcar, and carried on hauling crab pots commercially until 2007.
Her current owner bought her directly from the fisherman at Redcar in 2010. The only modifications that have been made are: the removal of the hydraulic fishing gear and winch, and the replacement of the air-cooled Lister twin diesel engine with a Ford Watermota (Sea Wolf 1100 cross-flow circa 1967).
She is now kept on the river at Henley Sailing Club, Wargrave.