Decade: The 50’s
“Prawn” was built in 1956 by Harry Feltham of Portsmouth for Mr Harry Scragg, who owned The Hayling Island Ferry.
Harry and his son used her for net fishing in Langstone Harbour: hence the fish sorting deck in the stern. She was built to be stable, enabling her crew to stand at the side of the boat to haul nets.
The oars are also noteworthy in that the rowlocks are pinned through them, so that the user can leave them, whilst tending nets.
She was built as a sailing boat and, apart from the Falmouth working boats which are still required by law to dredge for oysters under sail, she was probably one of the last sailing fishing boats built in UK.
“Prawn” was sold to Hayling Island’s Harbourmaster, before being bought by Robin Ford, her current owner, in 2004.
She has recently been restored by Trevor Green.